Dental Implant Restorations in Pembroke, ON
Replace Missing Teeth and Fix Your Smile For Good
Are you seeking the best dental implant solutions in Pembroke, ON? Look no further than Dr. James Munro at Parkview Dental. Our mission is to provide top-notch implant solutions that will not only restore your smile but also boost your confidence. Discover how tooth implants can fix your smile and help you feel more confident.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots made of biocompatible materials like titanium surgically implanted into the jawbone. They’re a sturdy foundation for dental prostheses such as crowns, bridges, or dentures. These prostheses are custom-designed to match the appearance and function of natural teeth.
Types of Dental Implants
Single Dental Implants
Single dental implants are the go-to solution for individuals with one missing tooth. This procedure involves the placement of a single implant in the empty socket, topped with a custom-made crown. The result is a natural-looking tooth replacement that seamlessly integrates with your smile.
Multiple Dental Implants
When several adjacent teeth are missing, multiple dental implants are ideal. These implants provide stable support for dental bridges, preventing the need to grind down healthy adjacent teeth for support.
Full Arch Dental Implants
Full-arch dental implants are a game-changer for those missing an entire arch of teeth. With as few as four strategically positioned implants, a full set of teeth can be securely attached. This approach is known as “All-on-4” and offers an efficient and cost-effective way to regain a full smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer a plethora of benefits, making them the preferred choice for tooth replacement:
- Natural Appearance: Dental implants closely mimic natural teeth, both in appearance and feel, ensuring a seamless integration with your smile.
- Improved Speech: Missing teeth can lead to speech difficulties. Dental implants provide stable support for dental prostheses, ensuring clear and confident communication.
- Enhanced Chewing Functionality: Unlike removable dentures, dental implants allow you to enjoy your favorite foods without discomfort or slippage, restoring your biting and chewing capacity.
- Longevity: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime, making them a cost-effective long-term solution.
- Preservation of Jawbone: Dental implants stimulate bone growth in the jaw, preventing bone loss and maintaining facial structure.
Candidacy for Dental Implants
To be considered a candidate for dental implants, patients should have:
- Good Overall Health: Good overall health is crucial for successful implant surgery and healing.
- Good Oral Hygiene: Adequate oral hygiene is essential to prevent complications and ensure implant longevity.
- Sufficient Bone Density: A proper amount of healthy jawbone is necessary to support the implant.
- No Untreated Gum Disease: Gum disease must be treated before implant surgery to minimize the risk of infection.
If you’ve been told you don’t qualify for implant placement, Dr. Munro may be able to boost your candidacy with a supplemental treatment.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants work through a process known as osseointegration. After the implant is surgically placed in the jawbone, it fuses with the bone over time, becoming a sturdy anchor. Once fully integrated, a dental prosthesis is attached to the implant, restoring your smile’s function and aesthetics.
Caring for Dental Implants
Proper care of dental implants is essential to ensure their longevity. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Maintain Excellent Oral Hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth regularly to prevent gum disease and implant-related complications.
- Regular Dental Check-ups: Schedule regular check-ups with your dentist to monitor the health of your implants and address any issues promptly.
- Avoid Smoking and Excessive Alcohol: Smoking and heavy alcohol consumption can negatively impact implant success. Quitting smoking and moderating alcohol intake is advisable.
- Protect Against Teeth Grinding: If you have a habit of teeth grinding, consider a mouthguard to prevent damage to your implants.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do dental implants cost?
The cost of dental implants can vary widely depending on several factors, including your location, the number of implants needed, the type of implant, and any additional procedures required. Your implant provider will give you a cost estimate at your initial consultation.
Are dental implants covered by insurance?
Dental implant surgery is often considered a cosmetic or elective procedure, so it may not be fully covered by dental insurance. However, some insurance plans may offer partial coverage or reimbursement for certain aspects of the procedure. Check with your insurance provider to learn more.
Do dental implants hurt?
Dental implant surgery is performed under local anesthesia, and most patients report minimal discomfort. Some pain, swelling, and discomfort are common, but these symptoms can be managed with over-the-counter pain medications prescribed by your dentist or oral surgeon.
How long do dental implants last?
The longevity of dental implants can vary from person to person, but with proper care and maintenance, they can last a lifetime. Regular oral hygiene practices, including brushing, flossing, and routine dental check-ups, are essential to ensure the long-term success of your dental implants. In many cases, implants can last 20 years or more.