Preventive Dentistry in Pembroke, ON
Preventive Dentistry in Pembroke, ON
Protect the Integrity of Your Smile With Dr. Munro
The best defense for your teeth is excellent oral hygiene care. One way to maintain a healthy smile free of unhealthy bacteria is to keep up with routine preventive dental appointments. During these visits, our Pembroke, ON, restorative dentist, Dr. James Munro, can check your oral health for any signs of oral disease, cavities, and more.
At Parkview Dental, our professionals proudly serve patients in Riverview, Chalk River, and Petawawa. Discover our preventive treatments and commitment to keeping your smile looking and feeling its best!
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry services are designed to protect your oral health from plaque, tartar, and other harmful bacteria. Dr. Munro provides thorough dental exams, cleanings, and screenings to ensure your oral health is free of underlying issues.
At Parkview Dental, we believe strongly in providing minimally invasive dentistry. Many of our patients may have had negative experiences with past dentists, which is why we also offer sedation dentistry options to patients struggling with dental anxiety. Your comfort is our top priority!
Our Preventive Dentistry Services
During a routine hygiene visit with Dr. Munro, patients can expect:
- Polishing and Flossing: Along with cleaning and flossing, we polish your teeth to a beautiful shine. Along with fluoride application, we hope to prevent your teeth from becoming susceptible to tooth decay.
- CaMBRA Testing: CaMBRA stands for Caries Management by Risk Assessment and tests for the biofilm that typically comes with a bacterial infection.
- X-ray Examination: It’s normal to have x-rays taken during your visits, to keep tabs on developing diseases and tooth movements. Dr. Munro will also use these x-rays to determine candidacy for certain treatments, as they reveal what lies under your gums.
- Oral Cancer Screening: While the frequency of oral cancer screenings depends on your age, it’s ideal to receive one at your routine appointment to catch any problems as soon as they begin.
- Discussion of Treatment Options (if needed): If Dr. Munro notices any changes that need to be addressed, such as developing cavities, loose teeth, and more, you’ll sit down with him one-on-one to discuss treatment options.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I visit the dentist?
To maintain good oral health and keep cavity-causing bacteria at bay, it’s ideal to visit the dentist once every six months. Biannual dental appointments give you a clean smile and peace of mind that your oral health is in prime condition.
During these visits, we’ll clean and polish your teeth, take x-rays if necessary, and examine your entire mouth for signs of potential issues. Depending on your age and oral health, Dr. Munro may also conduct an oral cancer screening. If our Pembroke dentist finds anything concerning, such as developing cavities or gum disease, he’ll develop a personalized treatment to meet your needs.
What are the benefits of CaMBRA testing?
This convenient risk-assessment tool allows dentists to determine how likely you are to develop cavities before your next hygiene visit. Using this information, they’ll tailor your treatment plan for optimal results and help you improve your oral care at home, if necessary. Thanks to CaMBRA testing, our goal of keeping your smile cavity-free for a lifetime becomes much more manageable.
If I brush and floss everyday, do I still need to visit the dentist?
Yes! No matter how well you brush and floss, plaque can still accumulate in hard-to-reach areas of your teeth and gums. Without professional dental cleanings, built-up plaque will harden into tartar and can lead to harmful oral infections. We recommend you schedule hygiene appointments at our Pembroke dental practice twice a year. Using special dental tools, our hygienists will remove harmful bacteria to preserve the health of your smile.
How do I maintain good oral health?
Along with scheduling routine dental visits, other ways you can keep your smile healthy and free of bacteria include:
- Brushing your teeth twice daily with a non-abrasive toothpaste
- Flossing once daily (ideally before bed)
- Rinsing with mouthwash between meals
- Following a well-balanced diet
- Limiting tobacco and alcohol use
- Using dental products with fluoride